Lincolnshire has a great variety of market towns, each with its own unique character and attractions, but the following few are all within easy travelling distance of Greetham Retreat.
- The nearby market town of Horncastle, less than 3 miles away, has many classic Georgian or Victorian historical buildings and is renowned for its many antique collectors shops. Horncastle often hosts the various visiting antique experts ‘off the telly’ when filming for their programmes. It has a good choice of independently owned shops including some great coffee shops, butchers, and bakers.
- Louth, about 8 miles away, is known as the capital of the Wolds and is an attractive Georgian market town. It has plenty of character and offers many independent and unique shops and cafes including a fantastic cheese shop and several outstanding butchers.
- Boston, where visitors can immerse themselves in history, heritage and culture including the town’s famous large traditional markets, established for more than 450 years. The market place has recently been enhanced and is a bright, airy open space great for pedestrians, the markets themselves and other activities such as craft fairs. It is surrounded by a medieval network of lanes with many independent shops, cafes and eateries and many national retailers in the more prominent shopping areas such as Pescod Square. Visit the Boston ‘Stump’, the lantern shaped tower of St Botolph’s church which is visible for miles around. The Pilgrim Fathers were famously imprisoned at the Guildhall, now a visitor attraction, and made their first attempt to escape from England from nearby Fishtoft.
Why not visit on a market day to sample local produce and really take in the atmosphere of these charming towns:
- Horncastle: Thursdays and Saturdays (Farmer’s Market every 2nd Thursday of the month).
- Louth: Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays (Farmer’s Market every 2nd Friday and 4th Wednesday of the month).
- Spilsby: Mondays.
- Alford: Tuesday, Friday (Craft Markets: Tuesday, Friday July to Sept).
- Boston: Wednesdays and Saturdays (Farmer’s Market every Wednesday).
- Skegness: Monday to Saturday (Summer), Friday, Saturday (Winter).
- Mablethorpe: Monday (Summer),Thursday.
- Lincoln: Monday to Saturday (Farmer’s Markets on every Friday, 1st Friday in month at City Square, 2nd Friday in month at Cornhill, 3rd Saturday in month at Castle Hill and 4th Friday in month at St. Mark’s Centre.